Packaging serves as a key communication tool when trying to reach the target market. It plays an integral role in the marketing mix of a product and is considered one of the key elements that grabs the shopper’s attention in a store environment.
In a Focus Group discussion that we recently conducted, the following attributes were found to be key factors:
• Aesthetically pleasing and relevant to the target market,
• Clearly communicates the contents of the package,
• Immediate recognisability from a distance,
• Synonymous with the image of the brand,
• Practical and functional, e.g.: tamper proof.
Effective packaging should provide brand cues to establish brand identity and awareness as well as a source of information.
“The real food illustrations provided an instantly recognisable indication of the package contents.”